Professional degree in Architecture, Engineering or related field is required. A minimum of six years of progressively responsible experience in architectural planning and design, including experience with transit system design or commercial projects. Excellent written and verbal communications skills are required. Knowledge of data collection and analysis is required. Must have working knowledge of AutoCAD (computer aided design & drafting software) and the Microsoft suite of computer software. Additional experience with Adobe Photoshop, SketchUp and Autodesk Revit preferred. Registration as an Architect in Georgia, or the ability to obtain Georgia registration within six months via reciprocity is required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Architect V is the third-level position in the MARTA Architect job series. Under minimum supervision, this position is responsible for providing designs and coordination for moderately complex architectural design projects.
Architect V – General: Under minimum supervision provides designs and coordination for moderately complex architectural projects. Researches, plans, designs, prepares, and seals moderately complex architectural designs, drawings, specifications and contract documents for new construction and renovations of MARTA facilities. Reviews and comments on consultant-prepared architectural design and contract prepared shop drawings; reviews architectural construction progress; guides and directs others in their preparation of design drawings and specifications; interprets architectural and transit codes.
Architect V – Conceptual: Under minimum supervision conducts feasibility studies for transit expansion projects such as alignments, various transportation modes, facility expansion, and transit oriented development. Responsible for review of planning studies of bus and rail expansion projects and conceptual design of transit stations, working with the Planning Office in evaluating engineering options and alignment studies for integration of various transit modes with the MARTA system. Prepares conceptual design and project definition drawings for MARTA transit stations as lead architect or in conjunction with others. Develops, reviews and updates MARTA design criteria, architectural directives, standard drawings and specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develops, prepares, and seals architectural drawings and specifications involving major new construction and/or modifications to MARTA facilities, and special projects (i.e. signage, renovation/retrofit projects, etc.).
2. Participates in negotiations of design contracts with outside consultants. Reviews, comments and recommends appropriate changes on all phases (preliminary through final bid set) of consultant-prepared architectural design documents (i.e., plans and specifications, shop drawings, etc.).
3. Provides design services during construction of project; inspects construction projects, reviews shop drawings, prepares contract change orders, design changes, field sketches, etc., for assigned projects and determines percentage of contract completion for validation of contractor/consultant pay requests.
4. Prepares conceptual design and project definition drawings for MARTA transit stations in conjunction with the lead architect. Develops, reviews and updates MARTA design criteria, architectural directives, standard drawings and specifications.
5. May serve as lead architect for moderately complex special project teams.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.